Studying Abroad

Discover the states

Secure English Language Tests (SELT)

Only the following types of students are not required to undertake a SELT in order to obtain a Tier 4 General visa:

  • Tier 4 General applicants who are 1) sponsored by a Higher Education Institute (HEI) for 2) courses at or above QCF/NQF Level 6.
  • Tier 4 Child applicants
  • Students who have successfully completed a course as a Tier 4 (Child) student/Under Pre-PBS rules when granted permission as an under 18 year old, which was1) at least six months in length, and 2) ended less than two years before the date their Tier 4 General CAS is assigned
  • Nationals from a Majority English-speaking country
  • Students who have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree which was taught in English in a Majority English-speaking country (including UK).

Hints and tips on getting a SELT

  • Book a SELT test as early as possible before your intended course start date - centres are limited and may get booked up quickly
  • Use the Child route where you can (CATS/CSVPA/SoE only)
  • Use the Short Term Student route, especially where students risk failing the CEFR B1 (minimum IELTS 4.0 or equivalent in all of the four components)

UKVI majority English-speaking countries

Nationals from these countries are exempt from requiring a SELT:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and New Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America

Next up: