Studying Abroad

Discover the states

Student support

We are committed to the success of our students, through our student support service we are able to support all of our students, providing a broad range of advice and guidance on personal, practical and academic issues.

Personal Tutor

When you enrol on your programme of study at ONCAMPUS, you will be assigned a Personal Tutor, who is responsible for ensuring you have adequate academic support during your time with us.

Your Personal Tutor is the first person you should go to if you have a problem: if they can’t help you, they will be able to direct you to someone who can.

You will also have regular tutorial sessions with them, which will cover material like correct academic referencing, adjusting to life in Amsterdam, and preparing for your successful progression to your university course.

In addition, your Centre Head, Student Recruitment and Support Officer, and Curriculum Information Officer are always pleased to be able to help you with any issues you may be having.

Student enquiries and advice

You can come and speak to members of the ONCAMPUS Amsterdam team in relation to a range of issues, for example:

  • Visa advice and guidance
  • Accommodation advice and guidance
  • Request for official documents
  • Informing us of a change of address or any other changes to your personal details
  • Requesting authorised absence
  • Any questions/concerns you may have with regard to your programme of study
  • Any questions you have about letters written in Dutch, for instance from ING or your mobile phone provider (Don’t ignore them as there might be important information in there.)

If you have a question or concerns not covered in the list above, please come and see us between 9am and 5pm (Monday to Friday) and we will be happy to provide any assistance we can. If you have a confidential matter to discuss please see anyone in the office and ask to speak in private.

Student advice at UvA

The Student Service Desk (part of Student Services) is the first point of contact for general questions about studying at the UvA. You can go there with questions about your choice of study programme, enrolment, student grants and loans, living, accommodation, studying abroad and much more. The Student Service Desk is at the Roeterseiland Campus, in the central hall on the ground floor of Building E, Roetersstraat 11, 1018 WB Amsterdam.

Student Service Point at AUAS

There is a Student Service Point on the first floor of the AUAS Fraijlemaborg building, where you can get help with matters relating to education, administration and facilities. Visit for information about AUAS timetables and enrolments, to activate your AUAS student ID card or to get help with setting up Wi-Fi.

Your visa

Depending on your nationality, you may have had to apply for an MVV-visa to enter the Netherlands. The MVV-visa is only a temporary visa (valid for three months) and will be replaced by a residence permit soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.

The University of Amsterdam applies for your residence permit on your behalf, and will inform you as soon as you can pick it up at the office of the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) in Amsterdam. If you did not need a visa to enter the Netherlands, you will be informed once your residence permit is ready in the same way.

Your residence permit is valid for the duration of your course at ONCAMPUS Amsterdam and your degree programme at UvA. This means you will not need to renew your residence permit until you have completed your bachelor degree providing you attain at least 50 % of the credits of your study programme each academic year (which means a minimum of 30 credit points each year).

If you do not attain the 50% threshold, UvA will verify whether there is excusable reason for you to be exempted from the threshold. If you are not exempted, UvA will have to inform the IND and your residence permit will be withdrawn.


The centre aims to provide a high-quality educational experience, designed to ensure that students excel both academically and personally.

As such, we aim to ensure that all students are treated as individuals and that needs are met accordingly. Disabled students will be supported to help them become integrated into campus life.

Looking after your health

All students who come to study in the Netherlands are required to have health insurance. You will have the same rights to health care as a Dutch resident.

This means that you can register with a GP (local doctor), receive hospital treatment, treatment for pre-existing conditions and full maternity services. Most policies do not pay for dental (teeth) or optical (eye) services. To find out if these items are covered please read your health insurance policy.

Next up:


There was a problem loading the video, please try again later.