Swedish Visa Advice

swedish Visa Information

  • All non-EU students will require a residence permit before they arrive in Sweden
  • Students from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan and Monaco can collect their residence permit card after arrival
  • Students apply online for their residence permit via migrationsverket.se website at a cost of SEK 1,000.
    Japanese students are exempt from paying the fee.
  • The student will be provided with a residence permit valid for the duration of the Pre-Master's Preparation Programme. They will need to apply for another residence permit on acceptance to Lund University.

Information for Non-EU* students

(* If you are from Japan, South Korea, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Monaco - see below for more information.)

  • STEP 1 - Meet all conditions of the programme and receive a Certificate of Enrolment from ONCAMPUS.
  • STEP 2 - Pay the Registration Fee and Deposit
  • STEP 3 -  Fill out an application form for a Residence Permit at www.migrationsverket.se uploading the required documents:
  • All passport pages that contain personal information - (passport must be valid for at least three months)
  • Admission decision or letter of acceptance
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of ability to finance your study (8,010 SEK x 10 months = 80,100 SEK)
  • Payment of 500 SEK (if under 18), or 1,000 SEK (if over 18) for the cost of the residence permit.
  • STEP 4 - The Swedish Migration Agency will process the application.
  • STEP 5 - Whilst waiting for a decision to be made on the Residence Permit visit the Swedish embassy or consulate general in your home country to be photographed and fingerprinted. This is so you can be given a residence permit card which will be used alongside proof of your residence permit to travel to Sweden.
    • *Citizens of Japan, South Korea, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Monaco may obtain their residnce permit card on arrival in Sweden BUT must be able to show they have been granted a residence permit on arrival)
  • STEP 6 - You will receive an email stating a decision has been made on the residence permit. To obtain the decision you must contact the embassy or consullate-general. Take your passport when collecting the decision.
  • STEP 7 - For students who need to have a residence permit card prior to travelling to Sweden, will need to use this alongside proof you have been granted a residence permit to enter Sweden.