Student support

We are committed to the success of our students, and by that we understand providing support to enable all of them study effectively, progress to one of our partner universities and enjoy their life and experience of studying and living in Amsterdam. Respect for and acceptance of cultural differences and students’ individual backgrounds is in the centre of our system of support.

Mental Health Support

When you enrol on your programme of study at ONCAMPUS, next to academic subjects you will also study mental health literacy in the first term. The aim of this course is to help you build resilience, teach you how to deal with stress and provide you with knowledge about common mental health problems and illnesses and information when to look for help in case you are unwell.  With better self-awareness and self-knowledge come self-improvement and a feeling of having control over your life, which will help you develop strength and effective ways of dealing with life challenges.

Next to the classes, you can always speak in person to the Head of Welfare in case you have any emotional problems, experience of a mental illness or any sort of personal issues. You can book a meeting with her anytime and see her as often as needed. If she is unable to help you, she will be able to direct you to someone who can and inform you how to seek professional help.

In addition, your Centre Head, Student Recruitment and Support Officer, as well as your tutors are always pleased to help you with any issues you may be having.

Student enquiries and advice

You can come and speak to members of the ONCAMPUS Amsterdam team in relation to a range of issues, for example:

  • Visa advice and guidance
  • Accommodation advice and guidance
  • Request for official documents
  • Informing us of a change of address or any other changes to your personal details
  • Any questions/concerns you may have with regards to your programme of study
  • Any questions you have about letters written in Dutch, for instance from IND or the municipality (do not ignore them as there might be important information in there).

If you have a question or a concern not covered in the list above, please come and see us during our daily reception desk and we will be happy to provide any assistance we can. You can also send us an email on [email protected]. If you have a confidential matter to discuss, please see anyone in the office and ask to speak in private.

Student advice at UvA

The Central Student Service Desk (part of Student Services) is the first point of contact for general questions about studying at the UvA. You can go there with questions about your choice of study programme, enrolment, student grants and loans, living, accommodation, studying abroad and much more. The Central Student Service Desk is at the Roeterseiland Campus, in the central hall on the ground floor of Building E, Roetersstraat 11, 1018 WB Amsterdam.

Please see for more information about UvA Student Support at

Your Visa

Depending on your nationality, you may have had to apply for an MVV-visa to enter the Netherlands. The MVV-visa is only a temporary visa (valid for three months) and will be replaced by a residence permit soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.

The University of Amsterdam applies for your residence permit on your behalf and will inform you as soon as you can pick it up at the office of the Immigration and Naturalisation Department (IND) in Amsterdam. If you are from a non-EU country but you do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands, you will be informed once your residence permit is ready in the same way.

Your residence permit is valid for the duration of your course at ONCAMPUS Amsterdam and your degree programme at UvA. This means you will not need to renew your residence permit until you have completed your bachelor degree providing you attain at least 50 % of the credits of your study programme each academic year (which means a minimum of 30 credit points each year).

If you do not attain the 50% threshold, the university will verify whether there is excusable reason for you to be exempted from the threshold. If you are not exempted, UvA will have to inform the IND and your residence permit will be withdrawn.


The centre aims to provide a high-quality educational experience, designed to ensure that students excel both academically and personally.

As such, we aim to ensure that all students are treated as individuals and that everyone’s needs are met accordingly. Students with disabilities will be supported to help them enjoy the same quality of studies and life as other students. Please let us know if you have any disability (physical and/or mental) and require adequate adjustment by being open with us when completing the application form.

Looking after your health

All students who come to study in the Netherlands are required to have health insurance. You will have the same rights to healthcare as Dutch residents.

This means that you can register with a GP (local doctor), receive hospital treatment, treatment for pre-existing conditions and mental health treatment. Most policies do not pay for dental (teeth) or optical (eye) services. To find out if these items are covered please read your health insurance policy.

Next up:


There was a problem loading the video, please try again later.