Monterey Bay is centrally located on the coast of California, just two hours south of San Francisco, with Los Angeles and San Diego in easy reach. The bay itself, one of the world’s largest marine-protected areas, is home to whales, deep sea angler fish, and, of course, the CSUMB mascot, the sea otter.
The CSUMB campus is near pristine beaches, redwood forests, mountain ranges, and tide pools. The CSUMB campus sits halfway between the Monterey Peninsula, which features the coastal communities of Pacific Grove, Monterey (California’s first capital), Seaside, Carmel, and the Salinas Valley.
Stay on campus...or head into town!
Monterey Bay is a neighbor to several communities, each with its own attractions. For nightlife, students can hit Monterey’s Alvardo Street or Cannery Row. For a taste of the lifestyles of the rich and famous, it’s fun to browse the designer boutiques, galleries and restaurants of Carmel-by-the-Sea. Oldtown Salinas offers coffee shops, a movie theatre and rotating exhibits at the National Steinbeck Center.
Every weekend and most weeknights, something is happening in one of our campus venues. The Black Box Cabaret hosts concerts and open mic nights, the World Theatre hosts performers and speakers (and shows movies), and the University Center is home to some epic dance parties.
Picture yourself in California
- Enjoy moderate temperatures year-round in a Mediterranean-like climate with little rain, no snow, and a cooling breeze that complements the warm, sunny days.
- Visit San Francisco, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, San Diego, and other American west coast destinations — all easily accessible by plane, train or car.
- Surf the iconic waves of Big Sur, kayak amid sea otters, or mountain-bike through sand dunes.
- See the awe-inspiring and diverse landscapes of California’s exquisitely preserved National Parks. Visit Yosemite, Redwood Forest, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Death Valley, and Sequoia National Park, home to some of the oldest and tallest trees in the world.
- Watch world-renowned professional sporting teams: the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB); the San Francisco 49ers, the Los Angeles Chargers and Rams of the National Football League (NFL); LA Galaxy of Major League Soccer (MLS); the LA Kings, Anaheim Ducks, & San Jose Sharks of National Hockey League (NHL) and the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).