At ONCAMPUS Cal State Monterey Bay you are part of the university from day one. You’ll live alongside American students in dormitories and have access to all the same facilities they do.
Like most college freshmen, you will live right on campus in a residence hall (also called a dormitory, or “dorm” for short) with other students. This is a mandatory part of our program because residence halls are a great place to make friends, socialize, and adjust to college life in America. This means you will quickly become part of a close community, providing an excellent opportunity to get to know your fellow students.
- Coed, with single gender rooms
- Residence Advisor (RA) assigned to each floor for activity coordination and housing support
- Residence Hall Director (RD) assigned to each residence
Each apartment features:
Desk and desk chair // Bed frame and mattress // Contemporary furnishings // Closet // Recycling bin // Cable television // No-charge laundry facilities in unit // Fast wireless network connections // Secure ID Card building access // One bathroom per room // Kitchen with basic appliances
Resident Assistants and Resident Directors
Residence Directors (RDs): Each Residence Hall is staffed by a live-in professional staff member (RD or building manager). In most residence halls, the professionals work on a full-time basis; RDs and building managers are trained administrators who have knowledge and experience in college residential living. They are responsible for the supervision of the Resident Assistants and Night Hosts.
Resident Assistants (RAs): RAs are trained student paraprofessionals who live on each floor with their fellow students. They are a student’s first contact for concerns and questions. RAs plan programs and assist the RDs with the day-to-day operations of the Residence Hall.
A meal plan is included in your program fees, and you will find the dining hall and campus cafés are also great places to socialize with friends. Try the Dining Commons, a food court that offers as much as you care to eat, including vegan and vegetarian options. Or visit the Otter Express, where you can enjoy fresh sushi, grab-and-go snacks, made to order salads, sandwiches, and more.
Want the full service experience? Check out Monte’s for a restaurant-style meal with friends.
Other CSUMB dining options include:
- Monte’s offers dinner with a relaxing atmosphere, great music and amazing primarily local food.
- WOW Café or ‘World of wings’ features healthy wraps and salads, grilled items, and chicken wings with 17 signature sauces.
- Subconnection offers subs made with quality meats, garden-fresh produce and fresh breads.
- The Library Café proudly brews Peet’s Coffee & Tea and is close by when you need a pick-me-up during your library studies.
- ‘Simply to go’ is where you can grab a variety of sandwiches, salads and snacks for the ‘student on the go’!
- And in the Student Center you’ll find Starbucks!
Safety on campus:
- Students have secure access to dormitories with student ID card and key.
- Police officers from California State University, Monterey Bay are on duty 24 hours a day.
- The Nightwalk Service provides escorts between main campus locations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Blue light phones are available across campus should you need a direct line to the police.
- Students have access to the Center Director’s emergency mobile number.
- The OTTERalert sends important campus information directly to your phone.